Sunday, May 23, 2010

Couscous Salad!!!

Heading over to the Santiago's for a cookout, so I decided to make an Israeli couscous salad. It is AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS...and gorgeous!!!!! I've made it a few times, but I think this is my favorite version. Israeli (or Middle Eastern) couscous is just about the cutest food there is (besides apricots, aka "baby butts" according to Justin). They are fun little balls that you can do pretty much anything with. Sometimes I just cook some up in veggie broth and eat it as a side dish, other times, I've mixed in curry powder, potatoes, onions, peppers, chicken (before i went veggie, now i would probably try tofu or seitan) and made a whole meal out of it. Anyway, here is the recipe for the salad I made today:

-3 cups Israeli couscous
-4 cups veggie broth or water (if using water, flavor it up a little with salt and maybe some garlic powder)

-2 granny smith apples, chopped into like 1/2 inch cubes (leave the skin on)

-dried cranberries chopped up

-slivered or sliced almonds (you can also use pinenuts, or probably walnuts would be good too!)
-fresh rosemary chopped tiny
-some grapes, sliced length wise

-red onion, minced really tiny


dressing-i'm not really a measurer, so start with maybe 2 parts olive oil to 1 part acid

-juice from 1 lemon
apple cider vinegar (you can use both lemon and vinegar, or just 1 or the other...i like both)
-salt

-little honey
-olive oil


Cook the couscous in the broth or water UNCOVERED until all the liquid is absorbed (it only takes maybe 10-15 minutes, depending on how wide your pan is).
Throw the still warm cooked couscous into a bowl, and add in all of the ingredients, mix together. In a small container, add the ingredients for the dressing, and shake into a frenzy. Pour over couscous and stir. Cover the salad and stick it in the fridge until it is cool. It gets better the longer it sits.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly I don't think I have ever had a salad with grapes. This is just so pretty and edible too. Liking it and your blog. I will sure be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!!! The grapes add so much to a lot of salads! I like to throw them in green salads with some bleu cheese and walnuts as well.

    ReplyDelete